Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Love for Nie Nie

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy


Today, I'd planned to write about printing a new design. But after seeing this segment on the Today Show this morning, my plans changed.

I followed Stephanie Nielson's story last year: a mother my age with four young children, nearly killed in a plane crash. I first heard about the Nielson family after receiving an email from a store owner suggesting I donate some Simple Ink goods for an online auction to benefit them.

Stephanie's blog, The Nie Nie Diaglouges, is an inspiring collection of creative thoughts and images about motherhood. I remember paging through the blog last year after receiving the donation request, so impressed with her creativity. At that time, some thought Stephanie might not survive her injuries. The money raised would go to a fund for her children.

This is why, when I strolled downstairs this morning and flipped on the TV and saw her there, I nearly fell to my knees. All these months later, I'd fallen into my routine and slowly stopped checking on her progress.

Now strong but still recovering from burns that cover 80% of her body, Stephanie is beautiful, inspiring. Graciousness embodied.

In a recent blog entry about returning home after a year in the hospital, s
he describes sorting through her craft room and finding a To Do list from days before the crash, a menu for that week, and notes about an upcoming yoga class.


She writes, "I left my house at 8:30 am on Saturday, August 16, 2008 and never returned."

With Thanksgiving almost here, Stephanie reminds us all there is to be thankful for. I, for one, am thankful that she's back.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I also saw her story recently on Oprah (yes, it's here on cable TV in Bangkok!) So incredible - what an inspiring couple they truly are. (Nancy from Silverado!)