Friday, March 20, 2009

Inspiration



Over the last year I have enjoyed tremendous design inspiration from books we acquire for our son. I have an affinity for Japanese design, so it's no wonder I've been smitten with Japanese illustrators.

I am especially taken with this new pick, Emily's Balloon, by author/illustrator Komako Sakai. The images are elegant and tell a heartfelt story with very few words. A perfect combination. I love the hand-lettered look of the book's title, too.

Perhaps I also enjoy Emily's Balloon because it's the tale of a toddler who receives the gift of a balloon at the grocery store... falls deeply in love... only to have the balloon float away. (Despite Mommy's best efforts to keep it grounded.)

A common tale of woe in our household.

Check out this darling spread of Emily playing house with her balloon before it leaves her.

Does life get any sweeter?

0 comments: